Tuesday, July 10, 2018

"Hello Summer" Mixed Media Scrapbook Layout // Butterfly Reflections Ink DT

Hey friends...Happy Tuesday!  I have a fun and bright summer scrapbook layout to share for Butterfly Reflections Ink Online Store.  The picture is of my daughter and nephew about five years ago and I still hadn't scrapped it....crazy huh? because it is soo cute! 
The inspiration for this layout came from the CSI: colors, stories, inspiration case# 257...the color palette is right up my alley..so to speak...even though the color palette is softer than mine, it certainly inspired me.  The clues also included "pineapple"...and I definitely incorporated that!
My daughters shirt has a little pineapple and worked so well with the Simple Stories Hello Summer Collection.
Here is the case file image...

 
Per usual, I started with a piece of white cardstock and added a layer of clear gesso.  I love using white cardstock because of the way the bright colors pop!  To add some color behind my photos and embellishments, I used Abandoned Coral Distress Oxide Ink, Squeezed Lemonade Distress Ink, Peacock Feathers Distress Oxide Ink, and Worn Lipstick Distress Oxide Ink mixed with some water  by smooshing on the paper with some plastic packaging and a paint brush.  Once dry, I added some platters with the same colors.
 
 
 
Since this collection has a pineapple theme, I decided to use this cute pineapple cut file, but really wanted to try something different than just backing it with paper. 
Since the cut file was a pineapple after all, I thought it would be fun to add a ton of texture...I started with scooping out some texture paste on my craft mat, then scribbled my yellow pastel from the Prima Oil Pastel set and mixed together.  Once I had the perfect color, I scraped it all on a piece of cardstock in the shape of the pineapple. 
I intentionally spread it uneven in order to create lots of texture and dimension....because this is supposed to be a pineapple, right?  Obviously, the color isn't quite realistic, but it was bright and beautiful!
Acting quickly as to avoid it starting to dry, I took the cut file and laid it over top and used my craft knife to push it into the paste making sure to have the edges completely inset.  This took quite a bit of time to dry, but totally worth it! I used my heat tool to help it along and then cut it out so I could adhere to my layout.
 
Even though the pineapple was the main design element, I wanted it to work with the other embellishments.  Therefore, I layered the title over it as well as other chipboard embellishments from the Hello Summer 6x12 Chipboard
 
 
The top of the pineapple was backed with one of the papers from the 6 x8 paper pad as well as my photo.  For finishing touched, I pulled enamel hearts from Doodlebug heart sprinkles and Amy Tangerine as well as a few stickers from the Hello Summer Sticker pack.
 
 
 To frame my photo, I tucked in a couple of fussy cut florals from the 6 x 8 paper pad and even used a cute little speech bubble from Doodlebug Sweet Summer Chit Chat pack
 
 
To add a little sparkle, several sequins scattered about the page do the trick!  I used Pretty Pink Posh Tutti Fruiti, Pretty Pink Posh Sweet Mint, and Neat & Tangled Sunset Shimmer sequin mixes.
That's it...until next week!  I hope you are inspired to add some texture to your next project! and remember, you can make it whatever color you want to match your color scheme!
Head over to the store now to take a look at all of the mixed media products available at Butterfly Reflections Ink! and for more inspiration, check out the case file challenges at CSI:colors, stories, inspiration!
To watch my process, check out my video on YouTube linked below..
Thanks for joining me...Heather
 

4 comments:

  1. Your piece is JUST INCREDIBLE! I love that pineapple! I love the background! I love the ephemera... goodness, I just love it all!
    Thank you for joining us at CSI!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful artwork!! New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the textureon the pineapple. Gorgeous layout! Thanks for joining us at CSI!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous layout! That pineapple! And great job with that SS collection. A standout page, for sure! So happy to have you playing with us at CSI!

    ReplyDelete

December Kit share - My Creative Scrapbook Kit Club/main Kit

Hey my friends....Happy new year!! I realize this post is a little late, but I have been spending time with my family and working on new co...